Monday, January 19, 2015

Ladies Learning Code


After taking numerous dumps on HTML files while helping out at work (I have no formal coding training), my developer co-worker, a gentle and supportive man, suggested I try a few courses at Ladies Learning Code.

Why Should I? I asked.

“Because they are an awesome organization, their courses are affordable, they cover the basics and you’ll be learning with other women in tech which might appeal to you.”  

Ladies Learning Code are a not-for-profit organization with the mission to become the leading resource for women and youth to become passionate builders - not just consumers - of technology by learning technical skills in a hands-on, social, and collaborative way.

My co-worker knows this because he took a few courses there (their courses are open to men too). He also recognizes, like me, that women are very underrepresented in the field of technology.



I immediately enrolled in a day-long course on a Saturday and learned some basic HTML & CSS practices I wasn’t using correctly in my files at work. The event was well-run, jam-packed with 20-something G.O.A.T.'s, benevolent volunteers, and a posh catered lunch.

So far in my world there are only a handful of ladies I know who love coding, use coding regularly and make profit out of it but in time, thanks to this grassroots organization all that will change for the future of ladies in this male-dominated industry. There are programs for young girls and youths which are designed to help girls see technology in a whole new light – as a medium for self-expression, and as a means for changing the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment